The Tocantínia history is linked to the relationship between the settlers and the Xerente Indians. The majority of the Tocantínia territory is formed by their demarcated reservation. The São Sebastião Church, the main building in Tocantínia, is an Indian work.
Many of them, habitate nowadays the urban center, almost disassociated with the Indian settlements life.
The town is located opposite Miracema city, connected to it by ferry.
The first records about the region of Tocantínia come from 1738, when the arrival begins of adventurers in search of gold, land and other riches. The region was already inhabited by Xerente indians who occupied the lands near the Rio Providência and along the Rio Tocantins.
During this period there were many conflicts between the Indians and the newcomers, which had to pass through Indian lands. Also came the pioneers who paved the way and imprisoned the Indians to work as slaves in other regions.
With the project of settlement in the region, many strategies were used to remove the indians, one of which was the village, begun in 1840 by Frei Antonio de Ganges, who came to Brazil accompanied by father Rafael Targa, with the task to move the Xerente, Krahô and Xavante indians.
The Italian Capuchin, Fray Antonio, settled on the right bank of the Tocantins River about five miles, approximately the bar of Ribeirão Piabanha.
The first name of the current Tocantínia was Tereza Cristina, in honor of the then Empress of Brazil. Then, because of the proximity of the Ribeirão Piabanha, it was renamed Piabanha, and April 20, 1936 it adopted its current name, being elevated to the status of municipality on October 3, 1953.
Church of Tocantínia
The adobe church, built by the Indians, was designed by Fray Antonio. Years later rebuilt by the will of Monsignor Pedro Pereira Piagem.
Distance from Palmas: 70km