Soil fertility coupled with the mild climate offered by the hills surrounding the city, are factors that contributed to the development of Taguatinga. The human occupation of the region began around the 18th century with the installation of Fazenda Brejo farm, which attracted many people around, depending on the fresh water existing in their lands. Apart from agricultural activities, the city also served as a support to miners and traders who exploited the gold mines of the region. In 1894 he built the chapel of Santa Maria. The chapel’s altar was decorated with the image of Nossa Senhora da Abadia, the patron saint of the city. The image, which still remains in the church, was lent by a family coming from Taipas (today, Conceição do Tocantins), which did not come back to reclaim it. In 1855 the village was elevated to the expiry of town. Later, the council was being created shortly thereafter suspended. The District of Taguatinga was established in 1918. In the year 1948 was installed, finally, the district of Taguatinga.
The origin of the city’s name is derived from the word tabatinga – a white clay found in abundance on a hill 3 km from the city, which was formerly used for whitewashing the walls of houses.
The population of Taguatinga originates of the arrival of immigrants from several states, mainly in North and Northeast, seeking fertile land and gold. Fazenda Brejo customarily received large numbers of families who gathered there for parties of celebration, there remained in camps. For convenience, families began to build houses. This gradually led to the final residence in the same locality. The fundamental economic activity of Taguatinga relies on livestock as the production of pigs and mules and farming with the production of rice, beans, maize and cassava. It also highlights the extraction of wood logs and firewood. There is a limestone industry that exports its production to the Northeast.
Cachoeira do Registro
The city has a natural potential in terms of rivers and waterfalls. Among them, there is the Cachoeira do Registro in Rio Ribeirão Sobrado. The waterfall is the most important volume of water and height of the state of Tocantins. The water rushes at a height of 70 meters and its impact produces waves that form a freshwater lake 10 to 15 feet deep. Clear water and pure, the waterfall puts a stranglehold on the visitors. The deafening roar of the waters, the low incidence of light and color of the water particles, forming a haze that enchants visitors. Among them, there is a belief that when you make too much noise in the winter, the waterfall stops raining. The waterfall is 22 Km from the city. Access is via a side road to the farm by 4wd car. From there it’s a walk of 8 km to the attraction.
Gruta dos Caldeirões
The attraction is 200 meters from the entrance. It has a formation of stalactites and stalagmites. There are also curious formations like the “Wedding Cake”. The access is through an attractive country road with sand on the roadbed. The cave is located 12 km from the city.
The religious festival of the city is celebrated annually between 15 and 18 August, in honor of its patron saint, Nossa Senhora da Abadia. The representatives chosen to enliven the evenings with novenário religious celebrations. On occasion, there is also the Missa dos Vaqueiros celebrated at the church door. There is also the Feast of Kings, who happens 1-06 January, and the feast of the Divine, celebrated on July 6. In the event there is the presence of traditional revelry, church services and festivities.
The city retains some of Taguatinga works of colonial architecture. Featured is a loft, where it works, today, the Bank of Brazil, built in the nineteenth century by Sir Manoel do Carmo Lima. The historical building is the last record of the century throughout the southeastern Tocantins. The building is in good condition.
It is a source of crystalline waters (mineral) that flows in great quantity from the foot of hills forming a small pool near the source. Some scholars consider “Azuis” the shortest river in the world because, from the source to its confluence with the Rio Palma, there is a distance of 300 meters. The most important feature of the river, and that makes it fascinating is the blue of its waters, clear as the sky. Another peculiarity is that its blue waters are never muddy, even during rainy seasons. The attraction is permanent. Access to it is done by the Taguatinga-Arraias road, 25 km from Taguatinga.
The craft is made mostly of straw and stalk buriti. Sieves are produced, quibanos, bedding, rugs, hats and other pieces. The gastronomy of the city, as in most cities of Tocantins, are many dishes like rice with pequi, serigas rice, rice with chicken and corned beef. There is also the rice cake made from cassava, milk, sugar and butter, sweet fruit, coconut, cheese and natural fruit juices, and liquors and pinga. The folkloric show gangs catiras, folias de reis and bonfires wheels in honor of São Pedro.