According to historians, the origin of Porto Nacional is due to the navigation on the river Tocantins, making the connection between the two mining centers: Pontal and Monte do Carmo. After military detachment responsible for the control of navigation.
Its first resident was the Portuguese Felix Camoa, a boatman, in the late eighteenth century, who was dedicated to crossing the river Tocantins with miners coming from the gold mines of Bom Jesus do Pontal (populous village situated 12 km to the left bank of the river Tocantins, where today is only the history of the mines and the holes) to the mines of Arraial do Carmo, 42 km far to the right bank of the Tocantins and vice versa.
Around 1805, the Xerente indians appalled by exploitation, attacked and decimated the “Garimpo de bom Jesus do Pontal”. The survivors of the massacre came to take refuge and to settle in Porto Real.
The names given to the city are related to the political situation prevailing in the country: Porto Real, when Brazil was a kingdom, Porto Imperial, at the time of the Empire and ultimately Porto Nacional, after the proclamation of the republic.
The arrival of the Portuguese royal family to Brazil in 1808, also contributed to the advancement of the future Porto Nacional. D João VI, March 9, 1809, issued a Permit to establish a district in Northern Goiás, called São João da Barra (today the city of Maraba – PA) and instructed judge Joaquim Teotônio Segurado to lead the county, having the responsibility to develop navigation on the rivers Araguaia and Tocantins and encourage farming and ranching in the region.
Fond of Arraial de Porto Real, Joaquim Teotônio Segurado installed there the head of Court residing alternately in Porto, Palma (today Paranã) and Natividade. So with the goal of growing Porto Real, the judge invited the principal families of Monte do Carmo to live in Porto. Such was the development of Porto, who in 1831 was promoted to the rank of “village” with the name Porto Imperial.
The village emerged as an important trading post for merchants that travelled by boat to Belem from Palma and vice versa. The town of Port Imperial acquires the title of city in 1861 under the name Porto Nacional.
In 1886 the Dominican Fathers arrive, important missionaries who contributed to Porto earned the nickname of “Berço Intelectual do Norte Goiano”. Since 1889, Porto already had medical care provided by his son Dr. Francis Ayres da Silva who, in addition to physician, was a politician and journalist. He founded the journal “Norte de Goiaz” which for half a century, defended the causes of regional development. He also brought in 1929, the first vehicle, a Ford and a Chevrolet truck, purchased in Rio de Janeiro to Porto and drove via the state of Minas Gerais and Bahia, paving the way for the hinterlands.
In 1904 arrived the Dominican Nuns, whose work remains to our days, representing the Colégio Sagrado Coração de Jesus.
Porto Nacional is proud to have old city streets, such as the one of the Cabaçaco and the prison, which are beautiful colonial mansions.
- Festa de São Sebastião (20/01)
- Via Sacra
- Festa do Divino (data móvel)
- Festa da Padroeira – Nossa Sra. das Mercês (24/10)
Cathedral of Nossa Senhora das Mercês
Located near the right bank of the Tocantins River, at the same site of the former chapel of Nossa Senhora das Mercês, this monumental work was begun in 1894 and completed in 1904. Engineered in stone and brick, it represents the Romanesque style of Toulouse, France (region of origin of the Friars constructors). Most of its sacred images were imported from France and Belém do Pará. His first bell, all in bronze, also came from France. The Cathedral represents the “Dominican Order” in Porto Nacional.
Seminário São José
Old “Convent of Santa Rosa de Lima”, is home to the Dominican Fathers from the beginning of the 20s. In 1957 the top of the old house, was removed for security reasons, but is still majestic.
Old City Hall
Built in 1922. In it ran until 1969 the city hall, the hall of court hearings and the Municipal Administration. Built on two floors, it stands out among several buildings in the old part of town.
Located in the renowned “Rua Cabaçaco” in the Historic Centre of Porto Nacional, was the first seat of the College of the Dominican Sisters. Today it houses the COMSAÚDE Porto Nacional. The name “Caetanato” is in honor of Mrs. Caitano Belles, the last resident.
Colégio Sagrado Coração de Jesus
The architecture represents the work initiated by the tireless and pioneering “Dominican Sisters”.
Prédio do Abrigo João XXIII
Known as “Shelter of Old”, the mansion was a post ofice and then has long served as a hospital. It is located at Rua Joshué Negre.
Residence of Mr. Oswaldo Ayres
Important residential house of ancient architecture, situated in Church Square, symbolizes the brilliant work of Dr. Francis Ayres da Silva, physician, politician and journalist, son of Porto Nacional.
Residence of Ms. Pedreira
Heritence of the Pedreira family, the house draws attention to the architecture of bygone eras, all adobe, with wooden basement and floor.